Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Man Killed For a Loaf of Bread

I was shocked this week when I heard about a man in Zimbabwe who was killed in a fight over a "loaf of bread"! No doubt the economic and political situation is worsening by the day as inflation is pushing to 10,000% and food shortages are worsening.

But to hear that someone actually lost their life over a loaf of bread is utterly disheartening. Among other instruments, the man was actually stoned to death.

It can only bring more meaning to me about when Jesus said, "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?" Mt. 7:9 I may never be able to wrap my head around such tragic consequences for such meaningless actions. But being the father of a son tears deep at me I consider that everyone is a child of someone. How could anyone kill someone over a loaf of bread? It humbles me greatly in such refection that our Heavenly Father would never give us a stone in place of a needed loaf of bread. Neither would I do such to my own son. Neither should we to anyone in need. Not even for a Samaritan. Not even for an enemy.

No comments: